My heart goes out to the family of both Peter Nicklin and Harper Lee who both have passed away.
Harper-Lee passed away after swallowing a button battery in May and her Great Grandfather could not cope with her passing and took his own life in August this year, and my heart breaks with this story.
It was purely an accident that resulted in the death of this beautiful little girl, and these button batteries are so deadly and I think that it is so easy for a child to get their hands on them and the effects are deadly that they need to be banned, and like most Grandparents the pain of seeing a baby pass is too much to cope with.
I am not going to discuss how he passed but just the fact that he could not cope with her going and he must of just wanted to be with his Great Granddaughter. I hope the relatives find some peace in knowing that their Grandfather decided to go and be with his Great Granddaughter for eternity and protecting her. Looking at it that way surely must give some comfort as he obviously loved her with all his heart.
Too often we forget about family members who are suffering and this sums up the help that must be found for those who struggle with a loss and the Government should invest in more mental health help.
Peter’s son, Harper-Lee’s Grandad Darren Nicklin, said his father just wasn’t himself after the toddler’s death, adding there had been a big change in him.You saw the change in him. He went from happy-go-lucky, one of the lads, then he just wasn’t himself. We can’t believe he’s done it. ‘He just changed when our Harper passed. He couldn’t cope with it. People that age, they can’t cope with losing youngsters. The day after he said “why didn’t they take me instead of her?”
This is so terribly sad, so terribly sad and these buttons need to be banned as they are deadly and my heart goes out to the family.